Who we help
UPchieve helps low-income HS students across the country. Many of the students we serve are also racial/ethnic minorities and will become the first in their family to attend college. For example, Destiny is one of our first users. She has a part-time job after school, so by the time she gets home and starts her homework, it’s already 10pm. Destiny’s parents didn’t go to college and can’t help her. She’s behind in math, and she has an exam tomorrow. Without UPchieve, Destiny has no one to turn to for help.
UPchieve is an ed-tech nonprofit that helps students like Destiny access homework help, test prep, and college advice—even late at night. Our online platform is 100% free and pairs students with certified coaches for live support in minutes.
We believe that getting help when you need it should be simple for all students, no matter their socioeconomic status. By giving students equal access to the academic support they need to succeed, UPchieve will help low-income students achieve upward mobility and close the opportunity gap once and for all.
Who we’re looking for
UPchieve is looking for new team members who are ready to take on the monumental challenge of closing the opportunity gap. We want people who are excited by having lots of autonomy and responsibility, who are ready to get their hands dirty, and who are willing to work on projects outside the scope of their job description if it’s needed. Regardless of role, we value:
Entrepreneurial spirit: have you been described as a "go-getter", "hungry", or someone who "knows how to hustle"? This job is for you!
Demonstrable interest in education and/or working with low-income populations: For example, maybe you were a prior 9-12 STEM teacher at a public charter school, or previously you worked/volunteered with an education nonprofit.
Personal connection to our cause: Were you a low-income student? Own it! We're especially interested in candidates with personal experience with the NYC or another large city's public school system. We love CUNY/SUNY graduates or people with nontraditional educational backgrounds.
About the team & office
We’re currently a team of three (Aly, Mark, and Jack)
We work out of an awesome co-working space in Brooklyn, NY (dog-friendly, free coffee, all social impact orgs)
We think work should be fun and we’re excited to build our team culture with you
Non-work stuff is important too (e.g. full-time means 40 hours/week, work from home when you need to, and generous paid time off—including the last two weeks of December)
Jack’s mom bakes and mails us cookies :)
How to apply
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com:
Any role-specific application materials requested below
Partnership Guru +
- Together with UPchieve's Executive Director, build out UPchieve's partnership strategy and processes, with a special focus on our corporate and school partnerships
- Conduct research and outreach to potential new partners
- Build out partner-specific proposals and eventually help UPchieve's Executive Director with closing partnership deals
- Coordinate and keep track of all required follow-ups to potential and existing corporate and school partners
- Provide ongoing support to our corporate and school partners. For example, sending periodic updates, organizing and conducting info sessions / webinars for their stakeholders, compiling data, etc.
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong writing and presentation building skills (emails, partnership proposals, etc.)
- Comfortable getting on the phone with anyone and selling them on UPchieve's vision
- 1+ years of experience that you believe is relevant, but likely in the realm of partnerships, business development, or sales
- (Bonus) Previously managed at least one organization's partnership or business development strategy
- (Bonus) Prior experience maintaining multiple partner or client relationships at once
Additional application materials:
- Please send us 2 work samples that you feel are relevant to this job. For example, we would love to see a presentation deck that you worked on and a written proposal that you created.
- In the body of your email with your resume, please include:
- One paragraph (max 5 sentences) on how your prior experiences are relevant to this job. Why are you the right person for this job?
- One paragraph (max 5 sentences) on what most excited you about this job. Why are you applying?
Software Engineer +
- Build upon our current platform and help make it the best way to get real-time tutoring and college counseling
- Help make decisions about our tech stack, architecture, product roadmap, and more
- Work with a team of volunteer developers and maintain an open source project on GitHub
- Think about organizational strategy, learn new things, and occasionally help out with projects outside the realm of technology
- Passionate about helping low-income students get to college
- Have built & launched something from scratch
- 2+ years experience building modern web applications
- Be willing to get your hands dirty and pick up new skills as needed
- (Bonus) Familiarity with our current tech stack: Node.js, Express.js, MongoDB, Vue.js, React Native, TypeScript, Redux (www.github.com/UPchieve)
- (Bonus) Experience using design tools like Figma, Sketch, and Adobe Illustrator to create wireframes and vector graphics
Additional application materials:
- Link to your GitHub profile
- If you don't have one, please find some other way to share a portfolio of your work with us and provide at least 2 coding samples.
- Anything else you think we should see (e.g., your personal website, Stack Overflow profile, etc.)